Marie Norman graciously consolidated a list of 7 key insights about learning from recent research. You can read through the first three HERE and the other four HERE.
The snapshot version:
- Opportunity for students to test their knowledge frequently leads to better learning.
- Just the right level of difficulty leads to better retention.
- Interleaving – the practice of moving from topic to topic while maintaining a sense of continuity or while keeping hold of the common thread – leads to deeper learning.
- Spacing learning across time versus cramming it into a condensed injection leads to better retention and thinking.
- Collaborative testing improves student learning.
- Determination and resilience are indicators of how successful a student will be. (So, why don’t we teach students those skills?)
Go forth and do something great.